Sunday, April 22, 2012

free crochet hedgehog pattern

I said when I started this blog that I wanted to try my hand at writing patterns.....so i'm sure you'll love this little fella, and hopefully you'll love making him too!


This is my first publicly available pattern, so please be forgiving if it’s a little bit tricky or has any mistakes (although I have tested it a fair bit, let me know if you find anything wrong). I have learnt how to make amigurumi and how to write patterns by studying a wide range of books and patterns, so hopefully it should be pretty clear to use. My first bit of advice, no matter how good a crocheter you are, use a stitch marker!

Pattern written in UK English and uses a 3.5mm hook
Using light brown/beige double knitting weight wool

Round 1 : ch2, 4dc in 1st ch made (or magic ring/adjustable loop of 4dc)
Round 2 : *dc in nxt st, 2dc in nxt st* x2 (6dc)
Round 3 : *dc in nxt 2 sts, 2dc in nxt st* x2 (8dc)
Round 4 : *dc in nxt 3 sts, 2dc in nxt st* x2 (10dc)
Round 5 : dc in each st around (10dc)
Round 6 : *dc in nxt 4 sts, 2dc in nxt st* x2 (12dc)
Round 7 : dc in each st around (12dc)
Round 8 : *dc in nxt 5 sts, 2dc in nxt st* x2 (14dc)
Round 9 : dc in next 2 sts, 2dc in each of nxt 4 sts, dc in nxt 8 sts (18dc)
Change colour to dark brown on last st of round 9
Round 10 : FLO 2dc in nxt st, *dc in nxt st, 2dc in nxt st* x2, dc in nxt st, *dc in nxt st, 2dc in nxt st* x3, ss in nxt 6 sts (18dc+6ss=24sts)
Round 11 : dc in nxt st, 2dc in nxt st, *dc in nxt 2 sts, 2dc in nxt st* x5, dc in nxt 7 sts (30dc) - for neater results dc in same places as where you did the slip stitches of last round, going over the slip stitches. If you try to dc into the slip stitches you will end up with a line of the light brown appearing underneath.
Round 12 : dc in nxt 2 sts, 2dc in nxt st *dc in nxt 3 sts, 2dc in nxt st* x2, dc in nxt 2 sts, *2dc in nxt st, dc in nxt 3 sts* x2, 2dc in nxt st, dc in nxt 8 sts (36dc)
This is a good point to add safety eyes
Round 13 – 15 : dc in each st around
Round 16 : dc in nxt 3 sts, 2dc in nxt st, dc in nxt 22 sts, 2dc in nxt st, dc in nxt 9 sts (38dc)
Round 17 – 21 : dc in each st around (38dc)
Round 22 : dc in nxt 3 sts, dc2tog, dc in nxt 22 sts, dc2tog, dc in nxt 9 sts (36dc)
Round 23 : *dc in nxt 4 sts, dc2tog* x6 (30dc)
At this point stuff with toy filling, the firmer you stuff, the fatter your hedgehog!
Round 24 : *dc in nxt 3 sts, dc2tog* x6 (24dc)
Round 25 : *dc in nxt 2 sts, dc2tog* x6 (18dc)
Round 26 : *dc in nxt 1 sts, dc2tog* x6 (12dc)
Round 27 : *dc2tog* x6 (6dc)
Fasten off leaving a longish tail, weave in and out of last 6 sts, pull tightly to close the hole, then weave in the tail

Taking a piece of black yarn and a wool needle, sew on a nose, do this slightly upwards on the tip, it should make his snout appear to curve up more
Tip – I often leave a tail when I start the nose, and once its looking about right, wrap the tail and the yarn you’ve been sewing with around the nose you just made, pull tightly and tie the two ends together. This will make is ‘bobble up’ a bit more. Then thread your needle through and bring it out a bit further down underneath the snout, cut yarn and give the snout a wiggle, the yarn should disappear inside and in theory doesn’t have much chance of coming out/loosening 


Abbreviations
FLO = front loop only
Dc =double crochet
Ss = slip stitch
St/sts = stitch/stitches
Dc2tog = dc 2 sts together/decrease

for Americans, just remember that in UK terminology dc = sc 

once you've made one, how about making a whole family, try upping your hook size a bit to say a 4mm and adding in a few extra rows during rows 17-21 to make a bigger/longer mummy and daddy hedgehog


and remember to watch out....cos they're....'king of the road' 


The legal bit: I am happy for you to print this pattern for yourself, and I do not mind if you want to use it at crochet classes or groups. I retain intellectual copyright, I only ask that you do not sell works made from this pattern, and do not publish on any other websites or publications without prior permission

20 comments:

  1. Oh, see now I actually do I have to do some crochet! I have seen this for real and it is super cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so clever Matt and I adore the boots.
    Wish you lived nearer 'cause I haven't done any crocheting recently -I've lost the skill.x
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I can't wait to find a moment to try it out. In the mean time I have shared it on the ninja knitters face book page as well as my own one. You are very brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thankyou very much, I guessed that it was you that linked me to ninja knitters last time. Your support means so much to me :)

      Delete
  4. You have won first prize in a cutest hedgehog competition. Collect £10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh they are sweet!
    well done for remembering to write down the pattern:
    {something I forget and therefore struggle to replicate}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love these. Surely a winner. Will post my photo when I crochet mine. Thanks a lot for sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the great response everybody, i'm already thinking about my next pattern

    ReplyDelete
  8. cool! would you be able to come up with a pattern for a barney dinosaur......? we have a baby due here the end of Sept and I can't find one. I can crochet; but I have never made a pattern. This little hedge hog will be my next project. L-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. indeed a stitch marker is a must when doing these patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Matthew, These are great. Would you be ok if people made these hedgehogs as a fundraiser for Warwickshire Wildlife Trust? We want to make lots of hedgehog items for sale next year as we're doing a big hedgehog campaign.
    Cheers
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi lucy, sorry about the late reply (over a month later, oh i'm a bad blogger). Of course i am happy for you to use this pattern for such a cause, if you want mention my blog to other hedgehog/crochet lovers it would be appreciated. good luck with the campaign :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Matthew, I too would like permission to make this hedgehogs for charity. I am helping out at a Hedgehog rescue centre that is just a one woman enterprise and does not have charity status yet so completely relies on the generosity of donations (but mostly it just comes out of her own pocket) www.pricklytales.co.uk. I would like to make these for her to sell to raise money. I would be the only one doing it, so it will be very small scale. I am happy to quote you as the designer of the pattern. Please let me know if this is ok. Many thanks. Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela. yes I am more than happy for you to use this pattern to be used for charity/fundraising purposes, anything to help those little hogs. quoting me as the designer/citing my blog as being where the pattern is from would be fantastic. thanks very much

      Delete
  12. They are soo cute!! thanks for sharing the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Matthew, this pattern is exactly what I've been looking for. I plan to make one (or more) for my daughter's Christmas present and I would love to share it on my blog when it's done. I will link back to your blog post so others can read the patten. I hope this is okay with you. Thank you for this adorable pattern!

    Jennifer
    http://thistlebearhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Matthew,
    At this moment I am making your little hedgehog. It is going to be very cute! Just as I read you like making stuff for other people, I am making this little friend for a friend of mine who is expecting a little baby. I was wondering if you mind that I translate the pattern to Dutch and put it on my facebook. Ofcourse I will refer to your website and tell my readers that you desinged it. My facebook is by the way https://www.facebook.com/HobsiesHaaksels?ref=hl. So if you're bored or maybe have a crochet injury and have time, you can have a look. Do you have a facebook page as well? I wish you a very nice day! Kind regards, Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just found your blog - your crochet work is very inspirational. Especially love your hoodie and waistcoat, and I love the way you yarn bombed yourself with that pom-pom outfit - completely bonkers and brilliant! The hedgehogs are fab, thanks so much for sharing the pattern. I am so rubbish at remembering to put the stitch marker at the start at every round, but have found a great way of doing amigurumi work without the need for a stitch marker. Here's the link to the post -
    http://amjaylou.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/cute-stuff.html
    O and great snowman by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Matthew, I just wanted to say thanks again for this great pattern. I ended up making two hedgehogs, one for each of my kids as Christmas gifts. I'm really happy with the way they turned out. I blogged about my hedgehogs today: http://www.thistlebearhome.com/2014/01/hedgehogs-by-hand.html and linked to your blog, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete